Candles have been around for thousands of years. Not too far back into the past, they were used as the main light source, but today many people purchase candles for their scented wax. Do you know what lurks behind the sweet aromas in wax?
Both candles and scented wax cubes are filled with carcinogens. Most wax is created using paraffin, a petroleum waste product that is bleached and deodorized. This is harmful enough by itself. When unscented wax burns it releases chemicals into the air such as oil and gasoline. These chemicals are known as toxic volatile organic chemicals, they include acetone, benzene, and toluene.
Add fragrance to the mix and you now have a cancer-causing combination! The word fragrance is used in place of thousands are artificial scents and chemicals to create a pleasant smell that will slowly kill you. Burning candles have been found to be as detrimental as second-hand smoke.
The chemicals released from wax have been linked to cancer, respiratory infections, asthma, skin allergies, reproductive problems, and even developmental problems to name a few.
An all-natural and healthy alternative to burning candles is diffusing pure essential oils. There is an abundance of blends and recipes to create almost any desired scent. But keep in mind like any product on the market, not all oils are created equal. You should purchase pure high-grade essential oils.
Another aspect to consider is the cost difference. Many see the size of an oil bottle vs the cost and a red flag goes up. What you do not realize is pure essential oils are very concentrated. A few drops can go a long way. The average cost of a large 2 wick tumbler candle is $29.50 with 75 hours of burn time but a bottle of Young Living cinnamon bark oil is $24.50 and can be used for 450 hours of diffusing time with only 2 drops at a time! That is a huge difference.
You can save money on “Killer” candle sales but in the end, you are in fact purchasing a killer product. There are over 84,000 chemicals on the market while less than 1% of those have been tested for safety. Before lighting a wick or plugging in your wax warmer, consider the negative benefits to everyone in your household.