U.S. researchers have found that one in eight of the 82,000 ingredients used in cosmetic and personal care products are hazardous industrial chemicals. This means that 10,500 industrial chemicals are used as cosmetic ingredients, many of which are carcinogens, pesticides, reproductive toxins, endocrine disruptors, plasticizers (chemicals that keep concrete soft), degreasers (used to get grime off auto parts) and surfactants (they reduce surface tension in water, like in paint and inks). And these go on our skin and into the environment…
Did you know that everyday chemical exposure is among the leading causes of the most common cases of chronic disease in America?
Here is a list of some of the chemicals you want to avoid.
- BHA & BHT – endocrine disruptors & carcinogen; used in cosmetics as preservatives.
- Coal Tar – carcinogens & have a heavy metal toxicity; found in processed foods, lipsticks, & hair dyes. Look for P-PHENYLENEDIAMINE in hair dyes and colors identified as “C.I.” followed by five digits in other products
- DEA-related ingredients – carcinogens; found in creamy or foaming products like moisturizers and shampoos.
- Dibutyl phthalates (DBP) – endocrine disruptors; reproductive toxin; used in nail care and some hair spray products.
- Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives – carcinogen; used in cosmetics as preservatives. Look for DMDM HYDANTOIN, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, METHENAMINE, or QUARTERNIUM-15.
- Parabens – endocrine disruptors, interfere with male reproduction, carcinogenic; used in cosmetics as preservatives.
- Parfum/Fragrance – carcinogens, neurotoxin, allergies, & skin sensitivities; used in cosmetics and skincare to add aroma.
- PEG Compounds – contaminated with 1,4-dioxane which is a carcinogen; commonly used as the base for cosmetic creams, also found in conditioners and deodorants.
- Petrolatum – carcinogen; used in hair products for shine & as the moisture barrier in lip balm/sticks.
- Siloxanes – endocrine disruptors & reproductive toxin; used in cosmetics to soften, smooth & moisten.
- Sodium laureth sulfate – carcinogen; used in foaming cosmetics, shampoos, cleansers & bubble bath.
- Triclosans – endocrine disruptors & cause antibiotic resistance; found in toothpastes, cleansers, & antiperspirants.