We are at war!
No, not the kind of war that happens between countries. I’m talking about a war for healthy food. We are bombarded by food that has lost it’s genetic blueprint. Science and the food industry love Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) because it’s good for business. However it’s not good for our bodies or our health.
Some reasons to avoid GMO’s are*:
- GMO’s are unhealthy
- GMO’s contaminate- forever
- GMOs increase herbicide use.
- Genetic engineering creates dangerous side effects.
- Government oversight is dangerously lax.
- The biotech industry uses “tobacco science” to claim product safety.
- Independent research and reporting is attacked and suppressed.
- GMOs harm the environment
- GMOs do not increase yields, and work against feeding a hungry world.
- By avoiding GMOs, you contribute to the coming tipping point of consumer rejection, forcing them out of our food supply
What are the top ingredients that we want to avoid as we go back to clean healthy eating?
- Coloring agents: blue 1, blue 2, yellow 5, and yellow 6
- Olestra (aka Olean)
- Brominated vegetable oil (aka BVO)
- Potassium bromate (aka brominated flour)
- BHA and BHT
- Synthetic hormones: rBGH and rBST,
These ingredients are so commonly found in every day foods including baby formulas. In fact some very big name corporations are known for promoting GMO’s in their foods. Take a look at the picture below. How many of these products do you have in your cabinets?
It would help if we had labels so we could know which foods are GMO free and yet companies are fighting the labeling so they can hide what is in their food products. Here are some that are against GMO Labeling. Notice even some of our local companies are also against GMO Labels.
So how can you fight the war? Start reading labels. Protect your family from these ingredients. Be familiar with the Dirty Dozen and the Clean 15 listed below:
2015 Dirty Dozen: apples, peaches, nectarines, strawberries, grapes, celery, spinach, sweet bell peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, imported snap peas and potatoes.
2015 Clean 15: avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, cabbage, frozen sweet peas, onions, asparagus, mangoes, papayas, kiwis, eggplant, grapefruit, cantaloupe, cauliflower and sweet potatoes
What else can you do? Schedule a visit with me. I would love to help you learn how your body is affected by the food you are eating. But you can also do more. Help your family and friends by sharing this information with them, so they can realize what they are up against when purchasing and supporting GMO foods as well as what it does to their bodies.
*For more information on the above reasons to avoid GMO’s click here to see source material.