Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 Paleo Pie Crust recipe baked for 7 minutes (see recipe below)
- 5 slices bacon nitrate free, cooked and crumbled, OR cooked ham, if preferred
- 3 TBSP cooking fat of choice bacon fat, coconut oil, ghee, etc, divided
- 3 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets chopped into small bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Sea salt to sprinkle on onions and broccoli
- 1/2 tsp sea salt for the egg mixture
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canned organic coconut milk full fat is ideal, though you can get away with the light version
- 2 1/2 TBSP nutritional yeast (this gives it the cheesy flavor)
- 1/2 tsp mustard
RECIPE NOTE: PREP TIME does not include the time needed to prepare your selected crust.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cook your bacon until crisp and set aside to drain.
In a separate skillet, heat 2 Tbsp bacon fat or cooking fat of choice over low heat, add the sliced onions and stir to coat. Sprinkle with salt, and continue to cook over medium-low/low heat for 15 minutes, stirring to avoid burning, until a deep golden color**
Meanwhile, heat the remaining Tbsp of cooking fat in a separate skillet over med heat (I used the skillet where the bacon was cooked) and add the broccoli. Toss to coat and cook for about a minute, add the garlic and continue to stir and cook until the broccoli is bright green and slightly softened and garlic is soft, then remove from heat.
Drain excess fat from caramelized onions and add them to the broccoli and garlic.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk or blend together the eggs, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, salt and mustard
Fill the partially baked crust with the broccoli mixture plus the cooked and crumbled bacon, then pour the egg mixture over the top, careful not to let it overflow.
Bake in 400 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes until center is set. You may need to use a foil tent to avoid over-browning the crust halfway through.
Allow to sit at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Paleo Pie Crust Recipe:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup palm oil shortening or grass-fed butter (or combination of both)
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 large egg
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse all ingredients EXCEPT egg to create thick crumbs, then pulse/process in the egg until a dough forms. Gather the dough into a ball prior to rolling or pressing into your pie dish.
If the dough is overly sticky, you can wrap it in plastic wrap and flatten into a disc, then chill until it firms up. You can also chill the dough this way until ready to use – simply remove from the fridge to soften it up prior to using. To get the dough into your pie dish, you can either:
- Roll out the dough into a circle between two sheets of parchment. Place your pie dish upside-down over the dough, then using the bottom parchment paper, flip the dough into the dish. Finish by pressing it into the bottom and sides of the pie dish to fit – this dough will break easily since it lacks gluten, however it also repairs incredibly easily and can withstand a lot of manipulation without affecting the final product!
- If you don’t wish to roll out the dough, you can simply press it into 9 inch pie pan using your hands or a piece of parchment paper.
- Once pressed into the pie dish, gently pierce the dough with a fork all over so it doesn’t puff up while baking.
- For a partially baked crust, bake at 375 degrees F for about 6-8 minutes, or until barely set. For a fully baked crust, bake at 375 degrees F for 15 mins or until very lightly browned. You can use a foil tent to avoid the edges browning too much.
- Use for quiches, or any one-crust pie, sweet or savory! For double crusted pies, the recipe can be doubled and the dough formed into two balls of equal size. Enjoy!