Are you like me and hate eating plain boring chicken day after day, but don’t have the time or energy left to cook a 5-star meal after a long day of hard work?
Well, this recipe will just about change your life! Creamy Coconut Lime Chicken – a one pan, whole30, dairy free, paleo, and gluten free meal.
Prep time: 10 min.
Cook time: 30 min.
Total time: 40 min.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of red onion, chopped
- 1 whole red chili, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup of organic chicken stock
- 2 tbsp of lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1 tbsp of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp of red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 tbsp of arrow root starch
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them down to make them even in thickness. This will help the chicken cook evenly and make for more tender chicken. Sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over a medium high heat on the stove. Add the chicken breasts and cook each side for 5-7 minutes or until browned on each side. Remove the chicken from a skillet and set aside (the chicken doesn’t need to be fully cooked yet because you’ll be returning it to the heat shortly).
- Add the chopped onion to the same skillet and sauté for a few minutes to soften. Add the chili pepper if using. Sauté another couple of minutes. Add the chicken stock, lime juice, cilantro and chili flakes. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce down to a simmer. Let simmer for about 5 minutes to let reduce down. Add the coconut milk and bring to simmer again for another 5 minutes. Add the starch at this time. You may need to raise the heat slightly higher to bring this to a boil to activate the starch. Once the sauce thickens reduce it back down to a simmer.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, cover and let cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Serve with cauliflower rice with the sauce spooned over the top.
And there you have it! A delicious meal that did not take long to make and had few ingredients!