Kids Need Chiropractic Too!
Did you know that 95% of infants have spinal misalignments after birth? This is why my boys were adjusted within minutes of being born. Chiropractic care can help relax muscular tension, improve sleep, can reduce colic symptoms, and even improve breastfeeding outcomes in newborns. As a child gets older, they have many milestones in their life that can affect their spinal alignment. Some of these milestones such as learning to hold their head up, sitting upright, crawling, and walking are all activities that are affected by spinal alignment. Theses are important times to have a child checked by a chiropractor.
Signs to Look For In Kids That May Need Chiropractic
What are some signs that a parent can look for in their child to indicate they may be out of balance and need a specific chiropractic adjustment?
- Slow recovery from illness – If your child gets sick a lot, misses a lot of daycare or school because they are always sick, this would be a good indicator that their body is out of balance and they need an adjustment.
- Poor Concentration – If your child has difficulty focusing, whether it’s at home or at school, their body is dealing with some underlying issues that we can help you address.
- Poor Coordination – If your child has poor coordination, they may also be prone to more falls and injuries. This can also create frustration for the child as they can’t do what others are doing. Chiropractic care can help the muscles relax and the nerve supply going to those muscles work better.
- Hyperactivity – If your child seems more active than normal or if they have been warned by a teacher to sit still, chiropractic care can help their nervous system relax and calm down.
- Poor sleep – If your child has difficulty sleeping, they are much more likely to be irritable throughout the day. Plus, this can also be tied to their poor concentration and getting sick all the time. Chiropractic care can help get their body into the “rest and digest” mode and not just the “fight or flight” mode.
- Sensitive to environmental noise – If your child is sensitive to environmental noises, this could be a sign that their nervous system is stuck in the “fight or flight” emergency mode. In this mode, outside noises, can make the body respond as if there is a real emergency.
- Ear Infections – If your child is suffering from an ear infection, a chiropractic adjustment can help. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a watch-and-wait approach with ear infections instead of going straight to antibiotic because the research is showing antibiotics are ineffective at treating ear infections and the antibiotics can actually lead to repeated ear infections in your child.
Specific chiropractic care, like what we offer at Humfeld Chiropractic & Nutrition Center, can greatly benefit kids. For many kids, their way of telling us they have a spinal misalignment is by acting out with poor behavior or displaying one or more of the signs listed above. I recall a patient several years ago, that had fallen off of her grandmother’s countertop and a couple days later she fell off her bike. Her mother brought her in because the daughter was acting out and having way more tantrums than normal. Within just one or two visits, her daughter’s behavior and attitude were back to normal. I see similar behavior in my own two boys as well if they have a spinal misalignment. If you think your child could use an attitude adjustment, don’t hesitate to call our office at 507-333-5388 and schedule an appointment for your child. Their health and behavior and your sanity are depending on it.