Need a healthy option for on-the-go breakfast or snacks?
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 ripe & spotty bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or any plant milk)
- 1/4 cup plain applesauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup raw coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup rolled gluten-free oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup crushed pecan pieces (or walnuts)
- 1 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a muffin tin with liners or spray with nonstick spray. (I sprayed the muffin liners too, just to be safe!
In a small bowl, mix together ground flax and water. Set aside
In a separate medium-sized bowl, mash bananas. Then mix in the rest of the wet ingredients.
In a separate large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients, except the pecans and blueberries.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry, adding in the “flax egg” mixture too, and mix until well combined, don’t over mix!
Gently fold in the pecans and blueberries
Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full (this recipe makes approximately15 muffins!) I like to add extra blueberries on top, and a sprinkle of oats too.
Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean
Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan. Bake the rest of the muffins
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.