Believe it or not we are more bacteria than we are human. The microbiome in our gut governs many of our body’s key functions and is crucial to our overall health. A balanced microbiome regulates the immune system, metabolism, sustains the gastrointestinal tract, supports mood and brain function, provides critical vitamins and nutrients, and helps us maintain a healthy weight.
If you want to lose weight and feel better, it’s essential that you balance the microbiome in your gut, one of the most effective ways to do that is by eating fermented foods. Some types of fermented foods include:
- Sauerkraut – includes bacteria that is crucial in promoting balance within the microbiome. It also includes Vitamin A which helps to heal the gut and offer cardioprotective benefits by lowering cholesterol and triglycerides and reduce platelet stickiness.
- Kimchee – one of the healthiest probiotic foods there is, with proven support for weight loss as well. Fermented kimchee has been found to have a significant impact on the weight and body fat of overweight and obese Americans. Kimchee has also been shown to lower cholesterol, prevent constipation, and combat colon cancer. It can also help reduce stress, relieve depression, combat osteoarthritis, and fight liver disease.
- Fermented vegetables – these are natural probiotics as well as natural prebiotics.
- Kefir – a fermented milk drink resembling a liquid yogurt. It promotes microbial balance, offers incredible support for your immune system, and has traditionally been used to treat tuberculosis and cancer. (Be careful not to purchase Kefir products that have fruits or mixed flavorings already in it as this destroys the live bacteria and adds many grams of sugar. Kefir needs to be plain and unflavored to retain its full health benefits.)
- Yogurt – like kefir, yogurt has many health benefits but only when it’s packaged, plain, unflavored, and without fruit (although serving with fresh fruit is fine). The health benefits of yogurt are endless, as are its weight-loss benefits.
These foods are highly recommended for both weight loss and overall improvements of numerous symptoms including depression, anxiety, brain fog, skin problems, hormonal issues, immune weaknesses, digestive problems, and fatigue.